Last Updated on July 26, 2021 by admin
Let’s talk about common signs of severe depression today, and also explore what is depression.
What is Depression?
Depression is a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest. It may occur due to natural or man-made reasons(Smoking, relationship problems).
It is a clinical disorder due to an imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain. There are several reasons of depressing disorders occur, as it is widespread truth that students are getting counseling to avoid anxieties. In every field of life, depressed people want solutions to depression.
|Statue of a depressed person|
People think depression is sadness. People think depression is crying. But people are wrong. Depression is the constant feeling of being numb. Being numb to emotions, being numb to life. You wake up in the morning to go to bed again.
Having anxiety and depression is like being scared and tired at the same time. It is the fear of failure, but not the urge to be productive. It’s wanting friends, but hate socializing. It’s wanting to be alone, but not wanting to be lonely. It’s feeling everything at once then feeling paralyzingly numb.
Types of Depression:
Depression is not the only type that people suffer in their lives. There can be many types of depression varying from person to person on a daily basis.
Signs of Depression in the workplace:
Individual and Employees’ attitude towards depression in the workplace.
For the individual:
· Difficulty concentrating.
· Forgetful or indecisive.
· Thoughts of not being good enough.
· Wanting to withdraw from others.
· Lacking motivation or interest.
· Excessively tired
For the employer:
· Personality changes (irritability or lack of cooperation)
· Changes in self-care and appearance
· Incomplete tasks or missing deadlines.
· Persistently sad.
Signs of Depression among kids:
6 common signs of depression among kids include:
· Loss of interest in activities.
· Changes in eating and sleeping habits.
· Difficulty concentrating.
· Thoughts of death or suicide.
· Withdrawal from friends and family.
Signs of Depression in adolescents:
The World Health Organization defines adolescents as individuals between the ages of 10 and 19 years.
6 common signs of depression in this age group are:
· Heath issues.
· Suicide Ideation.
· Drug/Alcohol use.
· Lacking self-care.
Signs of Depression in seniors:
More than 6 million people ages 65 and older live with some form of depression according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness.
8 signs of depression in seniors are:
· Decreased energy of fatigue.
· Difficulty in sleeping.
· Feelings of anger, anxiety, guilt, hopelessness or worthlessness.
· Losing interest in activities and previously enjoyed pastimes
· Neglect of personal care and hygiene.
· Weight loss and loss of appetite.
· Isolating from friends, family and other individuals.
Signs of Depression in Teens:
· Long-lasting sadness or irritability, including unexplained outbursts of crying or anger.
· Changes in sleep patterns, either sleeping a lot or not being able to sleep.
· Always feeling tired or slow.
· Always restless, anxious or worried.
· Not being able to concentrate or think clearly.
· Aches and pains with no obvious physical cause.
· Thinking or talking about death and suicide, saying the world would be better without them that they wish they were dead.
· Giving away prized possessions or saying goodbye to people can be a sign of suicidal thoughts or intentions.
Signs of Depression in Men:
· Stomachache or backache
· Anger or hostility
· Difficulty in concentrating.
· Substance abuse
Is depression always suicide notes and pill bottles?
Depression isn’t always suicide notes and pill bottles. It’s also
Spending all day in bed:
People suffering from depression spend there all day in bed and not concentrating or participating in activities around them. They do not have a proper schedule. Isolating themselves from everyone and locking themselves in the room with negative thoughts in their mind.
In this way there is a bad effect on their health and they face health issues like headache, stomachache, dizziness etc. which are the really bad signs.
Faking a smile:
People suffering from depression in most of the cases have always smile on their face which seems to other people their life is full of happiness, they have not suffered any pain in their lives or their all wishes and desires are fulfilled, but people don’t know that from what phase they are going from or what they are feeling regarding their life.
People suffering from anxiety detached themselves from everyone. They don’t even want to spend their time with their closed ones like family and friends. They don’t want to go in gatherings. Because they are emotionally disturbed and don’t want to response anyone around them.
|Never skip your work|
People who are emotionally disturbed don’t focus on the work in this way they daily step back from their goals instead of stepping forward. They felt stressed at work. There are those awful days when everything for them seems to go wrong, and they don’t seem to get along with the boss, client, employee or colleague. It can be aggravating and upsetting. People suffering from depression often lack interest in their daily activities because the disorder affects normal day-to-day functions. Depression can be treated with medication or therapy.
Myths about depression:
· Depression only affects women.
· Antidepressants are the only cure for depression.
· A depressed person always looks sad.
· Depression is just a negative attitude.
· Everyone feels sad. Depression is not a real illness.
· Depression only sets in when painful events happens.
Hidden traits of Depression:
- You are highly perfectionistic, with a constant, critical inner voice of intense shame.
- You demonstrate a heightened or excessive sense of responsibility.
- You have difficulty accepting and expressing painful emotions.
- You discount or dismiss hurt or abuse from the past or the present.
Ways to rid out of Depression:
Your body makes all your brain chemicals from the food you eat daily. Eat a balanced diet. You may also consider taking a multivitamin.
Getting close to 8 hours of sleep each day gives your body the time to make more brain chemicals. It is the best opportunity for your body and brain to fix daily problems by making you feel healthy.
Daily exercise improves your brain activity. So do exercise daily in the morning which will make you feel fresh and healthy.
I hope this blog post will help you to know about the common signs of severe depression, types of depression varying person to person and how to get rid of it by following a few steps.
Moreover, at Get Counselling Here, you can get free online counselling for relationship problems, marital problems, career counselling, and much more that you want. It is quite obvious that the benefits of counselling and guidance are many in life so get it now for free.